Audio mastering a podcast is hard work. In this blog, we consider what are the most important elements of editing a podcast for quality sound.
Here are 5 key elements to make the final version of your podcast sound stand out:
- Removing any unwanted noise: This includes background noise, mouth sounds, or other distractions that can ruin the listening experience. Use a noise reduction tool to remove unwanted noise, edit distractions manually, and consider using a pop filter to prevent/minimize plosives in your recordings. Chances are you’ll need all of the above.
- Equalizing the audio: Equalization, or EQ, is the process of adjusting the balance of frequencies within an audio signal. Use EQ to improve the overall sound of your podcast by boosting or cutting certain frequencies. For example, you may want to boost high mid-range frequencies (2kHz – 4kHz) to make the vocals sound clearer or cut the low frequencies to reduce background noise and “mud”.
- Compressing the audio: Compression is the process of reducing the dynamic range of an audio signal. Use compression to even out the volume levels of your podcast and make it more consistent. Be careful not to over-compress, as it can make the audio sound unnatural.
- Normalizing the audio: Normalization is the process of adjusting the volume of an audio signal so that it is at a consistent level. Use normalization to ensure that your podcast is not too quiet or loud and that it sounds good on various devices.
- Adding any necessary sound effects: Depending on the style of your podcast, you may want to add sound effects (SFX) for transitions between the intro and the interview segment. Use sound effects sparingly and make sure they do not distract from the content of your podcast.
In addition to these technical considerations, it is also essential to ensure that your podcast is well-structured and easy to follow. This may involve editing the audio to remove any unnecessary or redundant content and making sure that the transitions between segments are smooth.
For a more in-depth look into editing a podcast for quality sound, read this article: Benefits of Professional Podcast Editing | Why You Should Invest in Podcast Production
Here’s one of our podcasts — so you can hear the crisp and quality sound you can strive for: Saviors of the Metaverse